Update day: 24-01-2023
Job type: Full-time
Niet gevonden wat je zocht? Sla je zoekopdracht dan op en maak een job alert aan op de online sollicitatiemodule om automatisch op de hoogte te blijven van interessante toekomstige vacatures. Meer informatie kan je hier vinden.
Departement: Departement Biomedische Wetenschappen
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is seeking to fill the following
full-time (100%)vacancy in the Department of Biomedical Sciences for adoctoral scholarship holder by the University Research Fund (BOF)in the area ofcritical illness andferroptosis.
“Innovative cell death diagnostics allowing stratifying critically ill patientsfor novel ferroptosis or pyroptosis intervention strategies”
- In ICU patients with sepsis or multi-organ failure syndrome (MODS), ferroptosis (biological rust) and pyroptosis are key detrimental factors associating with mortality. To deal with the heterogeneity of ICU patients, innovative biomarkers with predictive value are needed to allow determining subtypes of clinically similar patients. To identify ferroptosis/pyroptosis signatures in biofluids, you will use samples derived from 600 critically ill patients. You will also develop immuno-based bead arrays to detect ferroptosis and factors released by dying cells, as well as (epi)sequencing cell free DNA in biofluids using Nanopore technology to detect tissue specific cell death. Precision medicine using these innovative molecular diagnostics will bring intensive care into the 21st century. This PhD position will be in close collaboration with another MD PhD.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of innovative cell death diagnostics.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to the research in the Vanden Berghe lab.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biomedicine or equivalent.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have a strong motivation and have good oral and written communication skills.
- Basic knowledge on Bio-IT data analysis is an asset, advanced knowledge is an advantage.
- Holding a FELASA certificate for handling laboratory animals is an advantage.
- Experience with nanopore sequencing, cell death research and molecular biological techniques are an advantage.
What we offer
- A doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- The start date of scholarship will be October 1st 2023;
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including March 15th2023.Click on the ’Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following: a copy of your academic CV and a motivation letter.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place in April 2023.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. dr. Tom Vanden Berghe (Tom.VandenBerghe@uantwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’sHR Excellence in Research Awardfor its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encouragediversityand attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 04-03-2023🌏 Willebroek, Antwerp
⏰ 08-03-2023🌏 Antwerp
⏰ 26-02-2023🌏 Antwerp
⏰ 27-02-2023🌏 Kontich, Antwerp
⏰ 08-03-2023🌏 Willebroek, Antwerp
⏰ 09-03-2023🌏 Herentals, Antwerp
⏰ 01-03-2023🌏 Antwerp
💸 €3.500 per maand⏰ 10-03-2023🌏 Beerse, Antwerp
⏰ 09-03-2023🌏 Antwerp
⏰ 27-02-2023🌏 Herentals, Antwerp